Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Burden of the call is the weight of His glory

The burden of His call. The weight of His glory.
 "When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests, who are Levites, carrying it, you are to move out from your positions and follow it. 4 Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before.” Joshua 3:3,4
 God was leading His people out of the Land of Egypt. They were about to cross the Jordan river and enter into the new promised land. Egypt was a place of pain and misery. Slavery and torment. God had heard the cry of His people.
 His voice echoes through time and space and it reaches you. You feel a tugging, a longing to know Him more. He calls you by name you know. He has the hairs of your head numbered. He knows everything about you, your greatest need and your deepest fear. He’s calling you. For some, it’s as if a responsibility has been placed upon your shoulders . It’s a mantle of anointing like that of Elisha and Elijah the prophet’s of old. A deep longing comes from your spirit that says, “I must fulfill the call of God.”
  Many have heard his call and obeyed. For Abraham it was call away from the foreign gods of his fathers to serve the one true God. The call to know Him more. For Isaiah it was a commissioning, a sending forth to service. “ Whom shall I send and who will go for me?” , and he answered, “here I am Lord send me!” God has a great purpose for your life. Will you say?  “Here am I Lord.” Jeremiah the prophet too heard the calling voice of God and was reluctant, overwhelmed with feelings of inadequacy. How can God use me? The weight of His call is heavy at times, but He promises, “My grace is sufficient for you, and my strength is made perfect in weakness.” Many are reluctant but those who choose to answer His call will experience His glory. What is it that God is calling you to do? To take a step in obedience? To lay down selfish pride? To pick up where you left off and follow Him once again? To trust Him more? His call is an invitation, and obedience will always lead to a closer walk with Him. “He has prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies.”
 The Levites carried the ark of the covenant upon their shoulders. Symbolizing the presence of God. The burden of the call was the weight of His glory. Following after God can be difficult at times. “Surrender, surrender everything to me. Lay down your life as I have laid down mine and I will raise you up and you will share in my glory.” Some day we will dwell in His presence forever, and here and now we will experience the weight of His glory, if we accept His call. Some will and do, many won’t. Will you? Will you move out from your current position and follow God? He promises to go ahead of you and to always with you. He’s taking you to a place where you have not been yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment